|The Newsagent and Clayton Cottages|
The Newsagent and Clayton Cottages
Situated opposite the Green the picture shows 65-69 High Street, otherwise known as Clayton Cottages. The cottage on the far right used to have an extension to the high street that housed a barbers saloon - now demolished. A directory from 1839 lists William Brooker, hairdresser. He was eventually succeeded in the trade by Charles Brooker II, who offered haircuts in 1900 for the princely sum of 1p. He also played the cornet, and supported the local cricket team at their away and home matches, returning to the village playing "See the Conquering Hero" whenever they won. If he was playing any other tune, then they had lost.
He was able to shave the farm workers and laborers twice a week or so during the week on their way to work, or on Sunday mornings, whilst watching the game he loved being played on the Green. If he was running short of customers, he would give a few toots on his cornet to indicate that you wouldn't have to wait long for service.
At the extreme left was a shop run by Charles Brooker III until 1980 or so - a newsagent known simply as Brookers.
The newsagents remains, although not run by Brookers any more.